Running a business is never easy. Every day is hard work for you and your employees to keep the business running and the consumer market happy. But there is always a threat to you, the employees and the company. Hackers are always targeting business to steal any information they can. Small businesses are bigger targets for hackers. Bigger companies aren’t target as much because they can afford to hire many IT staff members to keep monitor their network. But that doesn’t stop hackers from trying to breach their security.
Whether you run a small or a large business, your company is always in risk of being hacked. So what can you do to keep everything protected? Well there are many different key things you can do to keep your business protected. Some things to include installing a firewall to securing your Wi-Fi access.
Tips to Protect your Business
- Firewalls – Firewalls are a network security that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic. Firewalls are very important to keep your businesses server from being breached from an outside source. There are many free firewall software’s that you can install. ZoneAlarm is a very reliable firewall software and it is free to install. Now there are some that you can purchase if you want the extra security. If you have employees working from home, make sure their home systems have firewalls as well.
- Security Principles – Security principles are a set of rules for your employees to follow when it comes to using your security network. It is a good idea to set one up for the employees to follow so no one does something that you don’t want them to do. You can have guidelines on proper internet usage and a set of violations for any employee who doesn’t follow the rules.
- Require Passwords – Make sure your employees have passwords to keep everything safe. Have them change it every 3 months for extra security. Also, you should implement an authentication that wants more information (such as mother’s maiden name) from the person accessing the account.
- Secure Your Wi-Fi – Set a password on your wi-fi so no one outside can access it. Keep your wireless access point hidden so that the name of it is not brodcast for anyone to see it.
- Protect Aganist Viruses – Make sure your business has antivirus software as well as antispy software to keep your network secured from viruses, spyware and any mallcious codes. There are many softwares you can find online that are updated on a daily basis. Be sure to configure your softwares to update automtically.
- Limit Employee Access – Limit access to what your employees can access in your network. Do not give them full access.
How To Report a Threat
If your cyber crime involves personal injury or financial loss, please contact your local authorities first. In St. Charles County, contact the St. Charles County Cyber Crime Task Force at 636-943-3000 extension 4447. If an emergency, call 911. You can also report your crime to the following Federal Agencies: